Wednesday, May 20, 2015

The Power of the Pen

The Power of The Pen: May 20th Mini-Task

There were many pieces of history within the Karlshorst museum that struck me; from the battalion of tanks lined up outside of the building, to the moving tale of photographs documenting the war inside the building. However, despite all of that, this one single piece of paper stuck out to me the most. This is the official surrender document from the Germans to the allied forces, signifying the end of their role in the war. It's odd that perhaps this stuck out to me the most. Inside the museum, there were exhibits that were arguably more interesting; authentic World War II weaponry, photographs depicting human suffering, and relics of the 1940s. However, despite the existence of what could be perceived as 'more interesting' items within the museum, the declaration is what caught my eye the longest, it inspired thought and once again lit that passionate love for history within me that all history majors have. Just words on a page, it signalled the end of the bloodiest conflict of human history, ended the pain, the suffering, the loss of lives and destruction of families. It may not be be the most glamorous of choice, but it is the one that moved me the most and in the face of such a monumental piece of history, I couldn't help but feel insignificant.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is a very interesting document Trey! I definitely agree that this document was the most moving part of the exhibit considering its representation of the end of the most brutal war in human history. It is after all, the reason that the building of the Karlshorst Museum is popular. I can barely believe that one simple document could have ended such a terrible War.