Tuesday, May 19, 2015

A Saturday by the Wannsee

Over the weekend I journeyed out to the Wannsee to check out the rowing clubs. I was hoping for maybe a chance to get on the water at best and just see the club at worst. However, I got a lot more than I bargained for.
 
My journey began by walking to a nearby bus stop to take the M29 to the S Anhalter Bahnhof station to take the S1 to the Nikolassee station. By the time I got to my stop almost an hour had past by which was interesting as I often forget how big Berlin is. The train ride was also made more interesting to the meeting of the German Sailors: I was sitting there and I see these two guys come in the train with lifejackets and marine equipment so I went over to say hi. David and 'Earl' were heading to the Wannsee to sail and were getting off one stop after me. It was interesting talking to them as they were curious about what a Canadian was doing here and they told me what to expected at the Wannsee. It was also cool to talk to them because the conversation shifted to sports medicine and then sports in general and we talked about Formula 1 and soccer. It was great to talk to someone that shared my interest in F1 as there is not a lot of interest back home. It was a very enjoyable conversation, but eventually they reminded me of my stop and we parted ways.
 
Stepping out of Nikolassee station was a little confusing as I had no point of reference (forest left, right and centre). Even worst, I could not find the street on the map where the rowing club was. I asked someone which way the lake was and started on my adventure. I went straight and follows a path to a swimming centre (I later found out that it had a nude spot and a 800m long Nazi building that was still being used a change room). No rowing club so I became to follow the coast to the left. I came across many things on my way to the club. One was a wind surfing club and the other was a 'coast guard' station. There was a young fellow on duty at the rescue station who was telling me that he volunteered, it was also at this point that I got a clear view of the lake. There were sails upon sails out on the water. I did not understand what/who he was affiliated with, but to do this without pay interested me. I could not get a why out of him, but I did get directions as well as binoculars. To my joy I could see the familiar movement of blades moving across the water. I continues allow the coast and made it back to the street to see the red and black building above. It is a fire station, number 20 to be precise, and across the station was the street I was looking for. Jumping for joy I made my way down the street to the club.
 
At the club I saw some familiar sights such as boat trailers and docks. It should be noted that the trailers they use here are shorter as a result of the roads, but not the boats (largest approx. 65ft). What the clubs do to stop the shell from being driven into a tree is take it apart (in halves). This is a foreign concept to all the rowers in Saskatchewan as there is no need for a boat to do this on the prairies. Also the club itself was smaller than the one in Regina, but has twenty times the membership (approx. 600). I really like this about rowing clubs and Europe in general: the appreciation of space and using it efficiently. Another thing I really liked about the club was it's history and the pride featured within its walls. I met a few rowers there and received a tour from two junior athletes (a make U18 and female U16 as Jaret, the senior athletes moved to a different club / national training centre). They showed me all the athletes that had gone on to the national team and raced for Germany. They spoke with a lot of pride and passion of the likes I have not seen since being in Ireland. This, however, may be a result of rowing being more popular in Europe than Saskatchewan. Another feature that I really like about the club was the club restaurant above the clubs that was open to the public. I really like idea of the rowing club being a community and having a space to host functions as well and bringing in funding for boats and whatnot. One interesting thing I found was the fact that they log their workouts into a national database. I was really curious as to what the 'Rowing Germany' was going to do with the date, however they didn't really know when I asked. Below are pictures of the front of the club and the attic where they ergs as well as the restaurant.   
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 




 
 
 
As I was leaving I noticed this on the wall of the club. It is a memorial for the member who fought in WWI. There was an addition made for members that died during WWII as well. It was also interesting to learn that a lot of the SA were members of the club. Luma was one of the athletes that gave me a tour and he began to walk me towards the station. As we walked, we continued to talk about the monument and the NS (how he referred to the Nazis). I asked him how he felt about it and his thoughts in general. It was interesting to hear him say that the German people should own it and use that part of their history to make them better. He told me he and his family recently found out that his grandfather were Nazi supporters. He said that that his family was looking into it, but when they found out, it did not hit him as much as it did. It was very interesting hearing a young person talk about this with such awareness of history and knowledge of current events. I find that a lack of awareness of current events is too common. Even the other night when some classmates and I ran into the Anti-Islam march, only one of us knew what they were about. Luma and I talked about so many things it is hard to remember everything that we talked about. By the end of the walk to the station we had talked at length about rowing, but also changes in government policy and the responsibility of government to its people.
                            
                                  
My day at the Wannsee with Luma was not done yet as he offered to take me to Grunewald which was one stop away. The Grunewald was used as a source of sand for concrete when repairing Berlin after the war. The pictures do not do justice to the size of the place, but they offer an idea. The sand was also incredibly soft.  


 

















As I was walking around the 'basin', I realized that Berlin had used this green space as a means to rebuild the city, but also as a way to make a feature within the area. The stairs for example, they allow people to come down to the bottom and walk around and look at the newly formed pond and sand piles. When compared to the Big Dig in Regina (2005), the City of Regina just put the 'dirt' amount other thing alongside the Ring road rather than do something creative with it for the city or the people.

Continuing on from the sand, we came to an old factory that had been re-purposed as a information centre / garden. There was also a nearby café where Luma and I ate and discussed nature and the role of bio / organic products and marketing. Eventually (I can't remember how), we began to talk about world problems and what he refers to as a devil cycle. He described the devil cycle as trying to make something better, but actually making it worst and causing a cascade of problems that run in a cycle. I equated this to wicked problems (problems that have no easy solution). Thinking back to the mini task on Monday, the Berlin Conference could be considered a devil cycle. Moving on from our lunch we came across the pond you see below. The water was extremely clear and Luma told me it was a part of an effort to help a certain fish that could not survive in polluted water from the war. Luma himself as done work in conservatories and fish to help bring back species of fish such as sturgeon and salmon. We talked at lengths about this as my uncle is in the fisheries in Newfoundland. Also at the lake was a free rescue training. I think the fact that they offer free training course great as it encourages more people to take the class and as such have more people prepared to take any action necessary. As a coach, I need to have a boat license and other things, all of which I had to pay for which contrast what was going on here. The rest of the conservation was mostly figuring out which species was which in English and German. Luma is pictured below in front of the info / garden area.

To summarize, my journey to the Wannsee was great. I had a really enjoyable (and unbelievably long) conservation with Luma about history, current affairs, nature, and more all while discussing each respectable language. If any of you have the opportunity to go off on your own and talk to a German I believe you will find it highly rewarding. If you have any questions you want to ask Luma, I have his email.

4 comments:

Emily Pletz said...

That sounds really neat! Do you think you'll keep in touch with this member in the future?

Robert B said...

Yes, I'm really hoping that we'll be heading to the Wannsee as a class because it is something to see. I also believe that he may come to Canada either through rowing or on his own in some capacity. He said he wanted to go, so maybe I'll be able to return the favour in the future.

Emily Pletz said...

No way! That sounds cool! Are there any historic sites in Canada that you would plan on showing him?

Robert B said...

Yeah, I'd probably start when I'm in Toronto as the Niagara peninsula is only an hour or so away and there is plenty of rowing and lots to see