Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Mini Task: Museum Karlhorst


Museum Karlhorst2015-05-20 11.52.38 (2).jpg

This piece at the Karlhorst Museum is a depiction of a scene from World War II in which the Soviet army is overtaking the Reichstag in Berlin. I found this exhibit particularly interesting with its three dimensional element displaying a caved in trench that continues on to a battlefield scene directly in front of the Reichstag. This picture captures the feeling of victory quite well, although it does so while taking some logistic liberties, such as the positioning of the soldiers as well as the military tactics they seem to be using. This exhibit also played some war sounds softly in the background, adding to the exhibit without overpowering the observer. These factors along with the overall artistry of the exhibit made it the most moving for me.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Now I Thought it was little dull. It was neat looking sure. But, knowing it was so staged I felt it meant very little.
It has a similar approach to those exhibits in Natural History Museums where they have the animatronic dinosaurs. It impresses the kids but I learn more while the tour guide explains why it's bull dookie than from the glorified painting with branches outside of it.
If I wanted to see a monument, I'd do that.