Wednesday, May 20, 2015

"He will not escape from this grip."



During our visit to Museum Karlshorst several of the exhibits caught my eye. Many were a brutal wake-up call to the brutality of the war crimes committed by the Nazi German Soldiers.  Oddly enough a propaganda poster(see below) caught my attention faster than any of the others. The poster portrays a cartoon Hitler being strangled by the collaboration contracts signed by the by the allies, with the hands of the Soviet Union, Great Britain and the United States pulling on the ends of the make shift noose. Along the top of the poster there is a slogan written in Russian that translates to “We will block off the paths for this evil enemy, he will not escape from this grip.”  This poster was meant to display Hitler as an evil murderer, as he is displayed over what appears to be a sea dead of corpses with blood on his shoes and a pistol in his right hand, and reassure the common people that the allies would not allow Hitler to continue his reign of terror. I found this interesting because it was the first real piece of propaganda that displays a real hate for Hitler. Of course he was never many people’s favorite person, other than his faithful followers, but this blatantly displays a sheer hate for Hitler and a promise of determination to the people that he would not win this war. Another aspect that caught my eye was the absence of the French flag in this poster, but as I soon learned from our tour guide the French withdrew from the war with a cease fire on June 22 1941. This is why only three of the ally countries were displayed in this poster as it was published sometime after 1942, according the information plaque on the wall adjacent to the poster. 
Soviet propaganda poster found in Museum Karlshorst

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also found this one very interesting, particulariy because of the lack of French flag. I always assumed that because they recieved a part of Berlin they must have been a part of its division!! I was quite shocked that my assumption was wrong. Do you know, or have as any guesses as to why the French ended up being at the signing and getting a portion of land?

Unknown said...

I honestly I have no idea how the French came out of WWII with a part of Berlin. I just happened to catch our tour guide briefly mention that the French had withdrawn from the war. I can assume that because they did play a part, initially, that the French were entitled to some for of compensation for their time and efforts while they were still active in the war as they were present in the war for almost two full years, from 1939-1941, and I can assume the French also lost a large number of Soldiers.

Unknown said...

Upon some looking for the answer as to why France got part of Germany I found out that initially France did not get any part of Germany. It was not until later that Great Britain and the United States recognized France's contribution to the war. This recognition gave France some territory, no date was given for this. My information comes from Wilipeida so take it as you will. Maybe someone else can give a better answer.