Thursday, May 21, 2015

Propoganda in Musuem Karlshorst


Put a photograph of one object or exhibit that impressed or moved you on our blog. Explain in a few sentences why you chose this particular object.

 
I took a picture of the propaganda exhibit we saw in the museum and chose the allies strangling Hitler as an example. I took a picture of this because I am greatly interested in propaganda as it reflects the view point of the creator on the subject. When you look at a propaganda poster you get a lot of information and out of them because they are specifically crafted to illicit a certain reaction from the audience as well as to convey a particular message. I also enjoy propaganda posters as there is no filter between myself and the poster. With film and artifacts, they have been filtered through time or a lens (usually black and white with a set perspective set by the cameraman or photographer). With propaganda poster, they are presented to you as they were to the audience when they were first made. I also have an old propaganda poster of an old lady in front of a ruined home with the slogan “…and we talk about sacrifice”. I like having it in my home because it reminds me that when you look back at something as terrible as war you can’t truly understand how it felt and you should be thankful for that, but also feel a responsibility to not let it happen again.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

It's neat to see some being really cartoony like this one on others that are super dramatic. It weird there can be so many very different approaches of propaganda.

Unknown said...

What are your thoughts about the exclusion of the French on the poster?

Unknown said...

Were there any specific reasons you picked this piece of propaganda over others?

Advertising is designed to make you feel a certain way, so it similar to propaganda. Do you have the same interest for advertising as propaganda? Does old print advertising encapsulate the same unfiltered/unintrepreted look into the past?

Robert B said...

Vince, my thoughts on the exclusion of the French from the poster are as follows. I believe that the Soviets did not see the French as a major ally as thus excluded them. As a Canadian, I wish that the Canadian flag was up there, but also the Polish as they were the ones constantly fighting. However, the flags chosen work because there is not too much to distract from the Soviets strangling Hitler and it looks simple as propaganda should.

Robert B said...

Bobby, I pick this piece of propaganda in particular as it is a completely different style then the piece of propaganda I mentioned that is at my home. As for my thoughts of advertisement: today I think advertisement is the same as propaganda and that is not ok. Everything from subliminal messages (my 92.1 billboard) to false social perceptions (the Chevy focus group commercials) no longer advertises products, but the "feelings" the producer want you to associate with. It is propaganda/false advertisement and I think that it needs to stop because a lot of the time people don't think critically about these thing when they see them.,