Monday, May 18, 2015

A Brief Look into Student Housing In Berlin

Today we visited an area near Tiergarten, in which there was an area consisting of almost entirely student housing for the nearby Technische Universität Berlin, a technical school that is located just east of Ernst-Reuter-Platz. I found it interesting in that it differed, but also had some striking similarities to what we consider the off campus student residences, mainly the Boardwalk apartments located just off of Kramer Boulevard in Regina. In this neighborhood I found a poster for a campus event, which I do not ever recall seeing outside of the University Campus in Regina( seen below).
 
  
This area was similar to the Boardwalk area in that the apartment buildings were nothing special to look at, with very plain exteriors and had not seen a lot of renovations, not recently. 
The largest differences I noticed is that it did not seem to contain a variety of different living situations. By this I mean, that the apartments in the boardwalk complexes are different depending on where you are. Boardwalk has the standard 4-floor buildings but also has some town house type units, such as the ones that line the south side of Kramer Boulevard, that are ideal for student but can also house small families.  This area contained almost entirely high rise apartment buildings(seen below), that are generally more attractive to students and no so much for small families. I supposed that would be the point of a student housing area. I just simply found this area and the idea of student living in Berlin to be intriguing.

2 comments:

Emily Pletz said...

No way! I think that's awesome! I think it's really cool how you compared it to the off campus student residences in Regina. I wonder whether the pricing would be similar/how the loan process would work!

Unknown said...

I was also wondering about the pricing. I know that the condition of the Boardwalk apartments is less than great but they still charge rather high rents. Considering the conditions of living in those apartments the rent is slightly on the high side. I'm tempted to look into the prices of the apartments in this area and try to compare the two, but I fear looking at apartments may just make me want to move to Berlin.